In recent time, to make effective search strategies for searching patent literature, every searcher must know about few basic challenges of patent searching.
- Time - This is a very critical parameter irrelevant of any type of patent search (whether you are searching for Patentability / Novelty, Freedom-to-Operate, Invalidation, etc), you always have a limited time period in which you have to complete the search and come up with results claiming towards 100 % completion of search
- Variability of Technology Terms -
- No unique spelling standards (i.e. lengthy compound often misspelled) maintained between different geography patents and also variation would be found in same geography patents
- No uniform technical abbreviations found between different geography patents and also variation would be found in same geography patents
- Technology terms are often are ambiguous, for example cell which may be of wireless communication cell or biological cell or battery cell (electrolytic cell, photovoltaic cell) etc.
- Keyword based search limitation - Quality of searching is highly dependent on the technical knowledge and experience of searcher executing the search
- Patent Classification - Each and every patent is assigned patent classification (CPC, ECLA, IPC, US Classification, F-terms, etc). Often it's found in each patent classification system, single patent is falling in multiple patent classes and similar technology patents with different classes based on claimed inventions.
- Assignee / Applicant - You can find misspelled names and alternate versions (i.e. patents having assignee as its subsidiary company rather than a parent company)
- Patent Citations - Records are retrieved because of connection that examiners have made and hence may not always be "obvious" one
It's implicit that for approaching towards completion of 100 % patent searching, you must have access to wide range coverage of patent database across globe. Also you must have search person having solid technical expertise complemented with rich professional search experience in patent field.
- IntellectPeritus having expert and experience team where our searchers are top rankers from leading universities and postgraduate programs, and with solid technical expertise. They are complemented with rich professional search experience in patent field. Our search experts also have worked for technology-leading organizations in various technology domains for decade of years.
- IntellectPeritus having wide range coverage of patent and non-patent database and our searchers deeply understand the strengths, weaknesses and nuances of searching the databases and hence know where and how to search for maximum impact and effective search results
After knowing these challenges, it's necessary to deploy unique search model with effective strategies of searching and leading you towards completion of 100 % patent searching. It's necessary to think from each and every aspect of getting relevant information and same time reduces or eliminates possible irrelevancies.
Few conclusive remarks of IntellectPeritus search model overcoming search limitations
Keywords based Searching
- At IntellectPeritus, we have unique search model which overcomes challenges of patent searching and effective search strategies leading us towards completion of 100 % patent searching. Our search model is combination of keywords based searching, patent classification searching, citations searching and assignee / inventors searching. In give limited time period, IntellectPeritus search model provides results claiming towards 100 % completion of search.
Keywords + Patent Classification Searching
- Searchers with solid technical expertise and rich professional search experience in patent field allows overcoming of challenge Variability of Technology Terms
- Collection of all possible synonymous and similar technology terms, including foreign language terms
- Exhaustive search starting with narrow to broad approach
- Often broad patent searches result in high number of hits which make them practically difficult to analyze within a given time period. Restricting broad patent searches with selected patent classes provides a filtered results which contains most prominent ON target results and reduces irrelevancy as well makes practical to analyze them within a given time period
- Normally smart drafted patents do not disclose specific technology terms, but must have same patent classification and broad search terms and hence eliminating limitation of keywords based searching
Assignee / Applicant Searching
- Often there is a chance of having relevant patents cited in multilevel citations and having non-obvious technology keywords. Such relevant patents are collected by detailed and comprehensive multi-level citation analysis using our proprietary algorithms which rectify database errors in collecting citations
- Citations collected from multiple sources
- Multilevel citations of ON targets patents (wherein ON target patents covers all family members details)
- Often there is a chance of having relevant patents smartly drafted by your competitor and having non-obvious technology keywords. Such relevant patents are collected by searching patents of with most prominent assignees/applicants and/or inventors
- All subsidiaries and variations are considered for assignees/applicants
- Reassignment data for assignees is considered
- Searching in all possible search fields of databases such as Applicant, Inventor, Agent / Correspondent, US Reassignment, DWPI assignee code, etc